Thanks to a friend of mine who has a Great Dane, I scored a free crate! I purchased an identical one at Tractor Supply, set them both up at home, and let the dogs go freely in and out. I wanted them to be comfortable with the crates before I closed the doors on them.
The first two days... Nothing. They didn't even go near them. I even put a ham bone in each one... Still nothing. We were off to a flying start...
I had the crates set up in the dog room those first two days, and with no success, I moved them into the family room.
I set up a series of baby gates around the entrances to the crates, and let the dogs into the area. To my surprise, Miley went right in! George... not so much. He hung around for quite some time, sticking his nose in and out of each crate. Finally he went in, and promptly went to chewing on his ham bone.
After awhile, when I could tell they were relaxed, I quietly and slowly closed the doors. They looked at me for a second, and went back to chewing.
I set the timer for an hour, and I'll let them out. Being their first night I want this to be an extremely positive experience.
My hope is they will crate and potty train by the time the snow flies so they can be out and about in the house with us.



No comments:
Post a Comment