George and Miley are both roughly 11 months old, and I've been cautiously watching for signs of Miley's first heat since they were 5 months old. Large dogs can go into heat as late as a year, but I didn't want to make a mistake and end up with puppies so soon. About 3 months ago George was practicing his baby making skills on Miley's hip, head, shoulders, anyplace he could get her to stand still long enough for. Miley wasn't in heat, and the whole thing resulted in a lot of nothing.
This morning my husband informed me he had seen George attempting to jump on Miley. We separated them, and I contacted my friend, Kristen McNitt. She currently breeds Golden Retrievers, has bred St Bernard's in the past, and has been helping me to train Miley. Kristen gave me some tell tale signs to look for, and sure enough, Miley had them. She is finally in her first heat!
Consequently, Miley is going for a bath, brushing, and sanitary clip at the groomers, and will be spending the next 2 weeks away from George.
I love that Miley really is such a sweetheart by nature. She's the dog everyone hopes they get, and the kind that encourages others to get dogs.
The truth is, I enjoy being around her as much as she wants to be around me. I have plenty of comfortable places to sit and read, but with Miley inside, I choose the floor. She subsequently comes to sit by me, and we spend the afternoon snuggling next to each other. She radiates adoration, obedience, and love. I am so blessed to have her!


No comments:
Post a Comment